The Department of Communication offers rigorous, theoretical, and cutting-edge programs designed to provide students with the necessary skills needed to excel in today’s job market. Our academic and scholastic rigor positions the Oakwood University Department of Communication as a leader and noteworthy player in scholarship and education. Our students benefit from the state-of-the-art facilities and model professional faculty with outstanding academic and professional backgrounds.
The purpose of the Department of Communication is to shape the communication professionals of tomorrow by providing a synergetic learning experience that combines spiritual awareness, theoretical grounding, and practical application, thus enabling our students to successfully compete in today’s marketplace.
- The specific and primary purpose is to provide a vehicle through which communication students may enhance their skills and experience by completing practical projects, and working with professional and semi-professional communicators and organizations.
- The general purpose is to actively promote the highest standards of communication creativity, performance, education and research.
- To increase the skill level of members, through the use of projects (Inside Oakwood, Commercials, Public Relations) so members will be able to have experience in there area of interest
- To develop a sense of comradeship between Communication majors and minors
- To make the club more visible in the community and throughout campus (ie, community service activities, participation in preliminaries at Prayer Meeting, etc.)
- To provide networking outlets to secure internships and jobs after graduation.
- To establish a system of mentoring
Members – Any major or minor regularly enrolled at Oakwood University who maintains a minimum of 2.0 GPA – Dues ~ $10 per semester, $18 per year
Club Officer – Any student member is nomination as a club officer who:
- Meets the University’s eligibility of a 2.5 GPA
- Is a communication major or minor and
- Is a dues-paying club member
Officer Positions – president, president-elect (vice president), secretary, treasurer, chaplain, and public relations officer. Appointed officers are: assistant secretary and assistant public relations officer
Eligibility Criteria – the club will give 3 textbook scholarships in the form of $75 bookstore vouchers. Applicants must:
- Be a registered member of the club for at least one semester;
- Have dues paid currently
- Have met club meeting attendance requirements (two unexcused absences allowed)
- Have the application turned in by the deadline
- Visual Media (A.S.)
- Concentrations: Graphic Design, Photography
- Communication (B.A.)
- Concentrations: Communication Arts, Public Relations
- Communication Media (B.A.)
- Concentrations: Broadcast Journalism, Film & TV Production, Print/ Digital Media
- Visual Media (B.A.)
- Concentrations: Graphic Design, Photography, Photojournalism
- Communication: Communication Arts
- Communication: Public Relations
- Communication Media: Broadcast Journalism
- Communication Media: Film and Television Production
- Communication Media: Print/Digital Media
- Visual Media: Graphic Design
- Visual Media: Photography
- Visual Media: Photojournalism
- Communication Club
AR 111 : Fundamentals of Drawing
CO 201 : Fundamentals of Public Speaking
CO 342 : Radio and TV Broadcasting
Alpha Chi (AX) is a co-educational society whose purpose is to promote academic excellence and exemplify character among college and university students and to honor those who achieve such distinction. Alpha Chi was founded February 22, 1922 and is a member society of...
Due to potential severe weather on Tuesday, August 31, 2021 that includes the possibility of spin-up tornadoes, campus offices will be closed. Classes will be suspended - that is, no virtual or face-to-face classes will take place on Tuesday, August 31st. Please...
New partnership with Oakwood University helps recruit students to the UAB School of Medicine Read More >
Your donations at work!! We are excited to share the progress of the new Oakwood Treehouse Lounge & Café. Things are beginning to take shape asthe lower level of Blake Center is being transformed for our students. Thanks to the project organizers and all the...
Anchor WPMI-TV/Local 15, Mobile, AL
BA in Communication Media: Print Journalism
AS in Art: Photography