Select Page
Graphic of Graphic of COVID-19
Health & Counseling
The Department of Health and Counseling Services provide quality physical and mental health care in a nurturing environment while preserving confidentiality. The Department of Health and Counseling Services plays an active role in the health and lifestyle of its students and the university.
Emergency: 911

Health Services
The Department of Department of Health and Counseling offers a variety of services, including but not limited to:

  • Evaluation and management of acute and chronic illnesses
  • Emergency and injury care assessment
  • Women’s health
  • Laboratory Services
  • Referrals
  • Limited medical supplies as directed by Health Services’ provider

Counseling Services
The Department of Health and Counseling also provides the follow services:

  • Personal Counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Workshops
  • Consultation

All services provided by the Department of Health & Counseling are confidential. Information about your participation in counseling will not be disclosed to anyone without your written permission except for rare occasions required by law, including reasonable suspicion of abuse of children; serious danger of violence toward someone else; or serious danger that you may harm yourself unless protective measures are taken.

Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Form
Undergraduate students taking three or more credit hours are required to have health insurance. All students are automatically enrolled and charged for Oakwood’s student insurance plan, along with a back and front copy of your health insurance card. However, you may opt out if you provide proof of adequate coverage through your private insurance. Please note, students (or parents) are responsible for verifying their insurance plan coverage while in school. If conditions are not met by the deadline, Januar 17, 2018 insurance charges will not be removed

Please click here to complete and submit the WAIVER form



Fax: 256.726.7471
Email: ouhs@oakwood.edu
For further assistance please contact us at 256.726.7840

Medical Record Request

Medical records or immunizations may be obtained as follows:

  1. A physician or healthcare provider may fax an official release of information on letter head signed by the patient to (256) 726-7471.
  2. Patients (or legal representative if patient is younger than 14 years of age, incapacitated or deceased) may request a copy of medical records or immunizations in person at the Oakwood University Health and Counseling Services office. Patient (or legal representative) is required to submit a valid photo ID and a completed Release of Information form. (Printable Release of Information form may be downloaded below)

* (A valid photo ID includes a driver’s license, military ID or passport)

Once request is received, please allow five to seven business days for processing. (Note: Request may take longer to process when school is not in session).

Mail completed Release of Information form and a copy of valid photo ID to:

Oakwood University
Health & Counseling Services
7000 Adventist Blvd
Huntsville, AL  35896

To request records in person, office hours are as follows:

Monday thru Thursday 8:30am-4:30pm (Central Daylight Time)
Closed for lunch 11:30 am-1:00pm (Central Daylight Time)
Friday 8:30am-11:30am (Central Daylight Time)

To speak with someone regarding your request, call (256) 726-7840.

(Note: A reasonable fee may apply)

Note: Patient/student may request only immunization records to be faxed or emailed directly to them. Submit a valid photo ID and a completed Release of Information form, as well as, a cover page which includes:

  • Name and Identification Number while attending Oakwood University
  • Year of graduation or years attended
  • The information that is to be released (i.e. immunization records)
  • How the information should be forwarded (i.e. fax, mail or email)
The American College Health Association requires that students be immunized against certain diseases prior to being enrolled in college. It is especially vital for students living in residential environments to be protected from diseases. For these reasons, Oakwood University requires proof of current immunizations from all students.

Immunization and TB Requirements

  • PPD (TB) Skin Test – Must be done within the last 12 months from the start of school or attach a copy of chest x-ray results done within the last 2 years. If TB test is positive, you must attach a copy the follow up chest x-ray results.
  • Two MMRs (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella) — After 12 months of age for students born after 1957, or attach a copy of blood tests showing immunity for all three diseases.
  • Tdap (Tetanus Diphtheria Pertussis) must be up to date and done with in the last 10 years.

Recommended Immunizations

  • Hepatitis B (Series of 3) – Student chooses either to be vaccinated or sign a waiver.
  • Meningococcal Meningitis – Student chooses either to be vaccinated or sign a waiver.

Students living on campus are encouraged to be immunized with the Meningococcal and Hepatitis B vaccine series within their first semester.

All international students from high risk areas MUST have a tuberculin skin test done after arriving in the United States. (Complete TB Screen Questionnaire form under the Immunization link to determine risk.).

Registration Holds
Students without proof of required immunizations will have a hold placed on their account until the proper immunization documentation has been received by the Department of Health and Counseling Services.

Students who do not have adequate proof will be required to be immunized

Certificate of Immunization
The Oakwood University Immunization Form or an official immunization document must be completed and signed by an appropriate healthcare provider, then submitted to Health and Counseling Services prior to registration.

Insurance Information

Students without medical coverage must acquire Insurance through the school. The cost for the year is divided into two premiums, August and January. Students are enrolled in the insurance plan during Fall registration. The fee is part of the student’s bill each semester. If a student wishes to use his/her own personal medical coverage, this must be indicated on the insurance waiver form during the Fall registration period, with a clear copy of front and back of the health insurance card. If there are any changes in insurance coverage, students MUST indicate such change at the beginning of the Spring semester, otherwise their insurance coverage indicated for the Fall will remain the same in the Spring semester. A card or a copy of insurance membership is to be carried by each student, at all times, in case of an emergency.

All international students are required to accept the insurance offered by the school. For further information contact The Department of Health and Counseling Services at (256) 726-7840.

For insurance forms, please refer to Health Insurance Enrollment/Waiver.


Oakwood University’s Counseling Services offers individual counseling to enrolled students who need assistance with personal concerns, emotional distress, interpersonal issues, psychological disorders, and critical crisis situations. Counseling sessions are virtual, and appointments can be made by calling 256-726-7840 Monday – Thursday 8:30pm-5:00pm. Students with Oakwood Insurance can utilize the telemedicine option via https://go.healthiestyou.com/student/

The increased stress and isolation from COVID-19 safety measures can be burdensome to a person’s mental health. The following resources can help increase self-care and support positive mental health suited to social distancing.

NAMI Alabama – The National Alliance on Mental Illness (Alabama Chapter) offers extensive, relevant, and stigma-free information on mental illness. One of the best resources out there. http://www.namialabama.org/

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or need immediate support:

Call Health and Counseling Services

256-726-7840 (Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)

Go to the Huntsville Hospital Emergency Department
101 Sivley Rd. Huntsville, Alabama 35801
Phone: 256-265-1000

Call the OUPD at 256-726-7371 or call 911

If you are experiencing a problem with Psychiatric Medications:

If you are having a problem with a psychiatric medication, call the prescribing provider. If your problem is urgent or involves serious side effects, call or go to the Huntsville Hospital Emergency Department, 256-265-1000, if the matter is life threatening, Dial 911.

Additional Resources for Suicide Prevention

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
Call 1-800-273-8255 (free 24/7 Confidential Support)

Online Suicide Prevention Resources

Self-Injury Outreach and Support
SIOS is a non-profit outreach initiative providing information and resources about self-injury to those who self-injure, those who have recovered, and those who want to help.

Substance Abuse and Treatment Resources

National Institute on Drug Abuse

Opioid Overdose Rescue
Overdose resource that outlines 3 simple steps for saving a life and features instructional videos.

SAMHSA’s Treatment Locator
Resource for finding treatment facilities confidentially and anonymously

Detox Local Provides medically reviewed guides on every aspect of the drug & alcohol withdrawal process, as well as a list of SAMHSA-approved medical detox centers:

Contact Us

Blake Center (within the Student Life Office)7000 Adventist Boulevard
5035 Oakwood Road
Huntsville, AL 35896

Phone: (256) 726-7480
Fax: (256) 726-7471

Mon.-Thurs. – 8:30a.m. – 5:00p.m.
Friday – 8:30a.m. – 11:30a.m.
Closed for lunch – 11:30a.m. – 1:00p.m.



Public Safety: (256) 726-7911
Huntsville Hospital: (256) 265-1000
Crestwood Hospital: (256) 429-4000