Select Page
Our First Responders Chapel service
Welcome to Oakwood University – veterans, national guard/reservists, and dependents/survivors are eligible for VA education benefits.

Students receiving VA education benefits must provide the VA Certifying Official with a list of registered classes each semester for continuation of monthly benefit payments. This can be done by emailing your final schedule to kjoseph@oakwood.edu.

Below is list of approved VA programs that Oakwood University accepts.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Your benefits are payable for 15 years from release from active duty. For more information: http://www.gibill.va.gov/Training/Pamphlets.htm

Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (Chapter 30)
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved. Your benefits are payable for 10 years following release from active duty. For more information: http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH30/CH30_Pamphlet_General.htm
Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved. For more information: http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH1606/CH1606_Pamphlet_General.htm
Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
REAP (Chapter 1607) is an education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This new program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. For more information: http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH1607/CH1607_Pamphlet.pdf
Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)
DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances. For more information: http://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH35/CH35_Pamphlet_General.htm
Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (Chapter 31)

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program is authorized by Congress under Title 38, Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 31. It is sometimes referred to as the Chapter 31 program. The mission of VR&E is to help veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VR&E offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. For more information: http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/index.htm


For more information about VA benefits programs and assistance with completing the application for benefits contact:

Kerry Joseph